Oakland County Moms will feature the prize-winning recipes from the 2011 Art and Apples Festival at Rochester Municipal Park in Rochester. The second-place prize for the Art and Apples Dessert category was awarded to Elizabeth Lordon of Rochester Hills for her Caramel Apple Tarts recipe.
Here is the recipe:
Caramel Apple Tarts
with Apple Cider Glaze
1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust (two crusts)
1 small jar Sanders "Classic Caramel" Topping
1/2 large Fuji apple, peeled and diced
1/2 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. + 1 tsp. flour
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. finely chopped, salted peanuts
1/4 c. powdered sugar
3 tsp. apple cider
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and place a strip of parchment paper in each cup (this will help you lift tarts out of the tins after they bake). Unroll pie crusts, and using a 2 1/2" diameter cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out mini pie crusts. Use your fingertips to press them into each cup, and flute the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Combine all apple filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Combine all crumble topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Assemble tarts. Spoon a small amount of caramel into tart shells (just enough to fully cover the bottom - it should be less than half way up each shell). Then place approximately a teaspoon of the apple mixture on top of the caramel. Finally, using your fingers, sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of each tart.
- Bake at 375F for 16-18 minutes, or until crusts just start to brown.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar and cider until smooth. Once tarts are cooled, drizzle on top of each tart. Enjoy! (makes 24 tarts)
Click here for the winners of the 2011 Arts and Apples Pie and Dessert contest.
Click here for the winners of the 2010 Arts and Apples Pie and Dessert contest.
Click here for the winners of the 2009 Arts and Apples Pie and Dessert contest.
Click here for the winning recipe from the 2010 Art and Apples Dessert contest
Click here for the winning recipe from the 2010 Art and Apples Pie contest
Click here for the 3rd-place winning recipe from 2011 Art and Apples Dessert contest.
Click here for the 1st-place winning recipe from 2011 Art and Apples Dessert contest.
Click here for more info on Arts and Apples.