Breadmaker Bagel Recipe using a Hamilton Beach Breadmaker. Ingredients include salt, shite sugar, bread flour, dry yeast, boiling water, egg wash, coarse salt, poppy seeds, and chopped garlic.
Sunday bagels and a big breakfast are a tradition in our home. And, of course, we have that favorite bagel shop or bakery that is a bit of a drive. So, rather than send my husband out each week, we thought we’d try and make them homemade with our Hamilton Beach Breadmaker that I absolutely love.
I wasn’t sure it would be possible, because I have such high regards for the bagel bakers that I thought it wasn’t something the average person could do. But, I was wrong! These bagels turned out fantastic! I’d gladly make this recipe every week. And, the kids have fun helping.
Homemade Breadmaker Bagel Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup warm water (108-110 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 quarts boiling water
- Egg Wash (1 egg white mixed with 2 T. water)
- Coarse salt, poppy seeds, chopped garlic
Homemade Breadmaker Bagel Recipe Directions
1. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface.
3. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil.
4. Cut dough into about 6-9 equal pieces (depending on how large you want the bagels), and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten the balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole.
5. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 1 hour. You may need to re-open the hole.
6. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds, flip and boil for another 30 seconds. Remove from water and place on a clean towel to dry.
7. Arrange boiled bagels on an ungreased baking sheet that is lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Glaze tops with egg wash, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings or leave them plain.
8. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.