Bourbon Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe – This is the third place winning dessert recipe for the 2011 Art and Apples Festival in Downtown Rochester MI.
Oakland County Moms will feature the prize-winning recipes from the 2011 Art and Apples Festival at Rochester Municipal Park in Rochester. The third-place prize for the Art and Apples Dessert category was awarded to Jessica Lenaway for her Bourbon Apple Pie Cupcakes recipe.
Bourbon Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe Ingredients
For the cupcakes
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 1/3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
9 oz. (2 sticks, plus 2 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 c. whole milk
For the Apple Filling
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. allspice
2-3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. bourbon
1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
For the Bourbon Buttercream Frosting
2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. milk
2-3 Tbsp. bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Bourbon Apple Pie Cupcakes Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In large bowl mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. One at atime add the eggs, mixing thoroughly after each egg. Beat in vanilla.
- On low speed add the dry ingredients until just combined. Add the milk until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to sit in baking pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
For Apple Filling
Peel, core and dice apples. Toss diced apples with lemon juice in a small bowl to prevent browning. Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add dry ingredients and heat til just bubbling. Add bourbon and apples. Cook over medium heat until apples are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Fill Cupcakes
Once cupcakes and filling are cooled, cut cones out of the middle of cupcakes, leaving a small edge around the top of the cupcakes. Fill holes with cooled apple filling.
Beat softened butter until smooth. Add small amounts of powdered sugar and milk alternately. Once all powdered sugar and milk are combined, beat in vanilla. Add bourbon one T. at a time, tasting after each addition. Fill a pastry bag with frosting, and using a smooth basket weave tip, frost cupcakes resembling a lattice top pie.
See REVIEWS / RECIPES for more recipes