Caramel Apple Pecan Pie Recipe – This is the 1st-place winning pie recipe for the 2016 Art and Apples Festival in Downtown Rochester MI.
Art and Apples 2016 Apple Pie and Dessert Contest 1st Place winning recipe – Caramel Apple Pecan Pie.
This recipe won 1st place in the pie category at this year’s Art and Apples Fest for Cynthia Zalewski of Rochester Hills! Cynthia also used a similar recipe to win first place in the 2012 Art and Apples Pie contest and the 2014 contest so you know it’s tremendous!
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 1/4 sticks (18 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold whole milk, plus more if needed
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with a splash of water
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 6 to 8 baking apples
- 1/2 cut loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE CRUMB TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup pecan halves and pieces
- 1/4 cup Sanders Classic Caramel Dessert topping warmed
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE PIE CRUST DIRECTIONS
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl and mix together. Add butter & mix with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold milk all at once & mix until dough just holds together.
- Divide dough in half and shape into disks. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
- Roll out one disk of pie dough approximately 1/8 inch thick, fit in pie pan and trim neatly.
- Use other half of pie crust dough to cut out top as you desire. Wet pie dough in pan with water and place on top of pie. Brush top crust decorations with egg wash.
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE PIE FILLING DIRECTIONS
- Peel, core, section and chunk each section of apples into four or five pieces and place in large bowl.
- Heat brown sugar, apple juice and cornstarch in a saucepan until thickened.
- In another bowl, mix and dry ingredients and pour over apples. Mix lightly.
- Pour heated mixture into apples and mix until apple pieces are coated.
- Carefully spoon apple mixture into prepared pie dish and pour melted butter over apples.
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE CRUMB TOPPING DIRECTIONS
- Mix first four ingredients for streusel topping together until crumbly. Carefully sprinkle topping mixture over apples.
CARAMEL APPLE PECAN PIE RECIPE DIRECTIONS FOR BAKING PIE
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. If braid browns too quickly, cover edge with foil.
- Cool so juice in pie sets.
- Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with Sanders Classic Caramel Dessert topping.
- Compliment with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Oakland County Moms is proud to feature the award-winning recipes from the Art and Apples Festival in Downtown Rochester each year.
See REVIEWS / RECIPES for more recipes