Caramel Apple Tarts Recipe – This is the second-place winning dessert recipe for the 2011 Art and Apples Festival in Downtown Rochester MI.
Oakland County Moms will feature the prize-winning recipes from the 2011 Art and Apples Festival at Rochester Municipal Park in Rochester. The second-place prize for the Art and Apples Dessert category was awarded to Elizabeth Lordon of Rochester Hills for her Caramel Apple Tarts recipe.
Caramel Apple Tarts Recipe – Ingredients
1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust (two crusts)
1 small jar Sanders “Classic Caramel” Topping
1/2 large Fuji apple, peeled and diced
1/2 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. + 1 tsp. flour
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. finely chopped, salted peanuts
1/4 c. powdered sugar
3 tsp. apple cider
Caramel Apple Tarts Recipe Directions:
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and place a strip of parchment paper in each cup (this will help you lift tarts out of the tins after they bake). Unroll pie crusts, and using a 2 1/2″ diameter cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out mini pie crusts. Use your fingertips to press them into each cup, and flute the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Combine all apple filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Combine all crumble topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Assemble tarts. Spoon a small amount of caramel into tart shells (just enough to fully cover the bottom – it should be less than half way up each shell). Then place approximately a teaspoon of the apple mixture on top of the caramel. Finally, using your fingers, sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of each tart.
- Bake at 375F for 16-18 minutes, or until crusts just start to brown.
- To make the glaze, whisk powdered sugar and cider until smooth. Once tarts are cooled, drizzle on top of each tart. Enjoy! (makes 24 tarts)
See REVIEWS / RECIPES for more recipes