Oakland County Library Events Get Creative – Despite budget woes, Oakland County library events are getting more creative to ramp up the low-cost educational fun and learning.
I’m more than impressed with the libraries in Oakland County. I’m not trying to turn this into a “this local library is better than that local library” summary and I’m not trying to guilt anyone (or myself) into feeling obligated to support local efforts. Just think of this as a PSA reminder that we don’t always have to drag the kids to a cool place like Dave and Buster’s to drop a lot of money to keep kids occupied.
I’m not breaking news that local Michigan libraries are a great way to spend the afternoon but I’m more than impressed with the creativity of our Oakland County libraries when it comes to offering fun and unique programs. Here are just a few examples of some creative Oakland County Library Events I’ve noticed through the years during my time at Oakland County Moms. Keep in mind that several of our libraries have fun summer reading programs and homeschool learning events throughout the year.
Oakland County Library Events (random)
- LEGO TIME & Teen Game Nights at Rochester Hills Public Library
- Learn to Paint “Painting with a Pop” at Auburn Hills PL (5-8th graders)
- LEGO Club Nights at the Pontiac Public Library
- Cram for Exams with Therapy Dogs at the Baldwin Public Library (Birmingham) for HS Students
- Harry Potter Trivia Day at Orion Twp Public Library (ages 6 and up)
- Rock Detectives at Lyon Township PL
- Teen Book Club at Bloomfield Twp PL
- Critter Capers Puppet Show at Northville District Library
- Family Fun Nights at Hazel Park Public Library – Pizza, crafts, and games
- Choose Your Own Craft at Southfield Public Library
- Game Days at Farmington Community Library
- Teen “Bad Art Night” at the Troy Public Library
- Discover Great Artists Learn to Paint series at Clarkston Independence District Library for kids ages 5+
- Build Your Own Fort Family Fort Night at Berkley PL
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover at the Novi PL
- Video Game competitions at several local libraries
These Oakland County library events are just some of the unique ones. Numerous Oakland County libraries offer regular board game nights, video game competitions, chess clubs and Dungeons and Dragons game days for free in addition to the regular story-times and other common kid-friendly events. These events vary from library to library and so does the registration process. I have found that several of the programs are open to non-residents. If you don’t find what you’re looking for at your local library, you can try others and make phone calls. I’ve gotten to know quite a few local libraries this way.
It’s great that many of these Oakland County library events and programs are free (or at extremely low cost) but, even more important to me, is these programs promote being socially interactive with other kids during the activities. You can’t beat the social interaction of some of these library programs. There is far more interaction between kids at “board game nights” and other library programs than there is by handing kids $20 and taking them to Chuck E. Cheese.
what are your favorite Oakland County Library events?