Simple tips for achieving peace of mind through holistic practices from our friends at Mental Fitness Center in Downtown Rochester MI. Peace of mind…a measure of our physical, mental and emotional well-being. We all strive to achieve this, but all too often fall short. From a holistic perspective, we realize peace of mind when we attend to all our needs, those of the mind, body and of course, the spirit. Often portrayed as spokes on a wheel to symbolize an extension of our person, this triad is actually the integration of our self. To attend to one while ignoring the other, thwarts our effort towards achieving this peace of mind we seek.
Recall a difficulty you faced and reflect on your feelings during this time. Were you overwhelmed with frustration, dissatisfaction, anger, resentment? Did you seek support from a friend, comfort from a favorite food or guidance from a mentor? In times such as these, we seek solace and strength from the external world. We turn to family, friends and professionals so that we may find the strength to move past our difficulty and resume our daily function. Often these supports prove to be just what we need to move forward. We heal from the experience, yet continue to feel unfulfilled and unsettled. We are searching for peace.
To achieve peace of mind, we must believe it is possible. We must have faith in its vitality. We must have faith in ourselves. THIS is the spirit within. Much like the neglected seeds of a garden, our spirit will not flourish without care and attention. Our thoughts may wander towards expressions of anger, depression, revenge and self-pity, directing us further away from the place where calmness and contentment can grow. It is only when we quiet the chaos that we may reach this third dimension of ourselves. It is in THIS place that we find strength and solace. It is in THIS place that we will also find peace.
When we traditionally turn only to our family, friends and external supports it may be difficult to see the important role we play in our own healing process. Often, we are too often our biggest critic. It may be uncomfortable and challenging to confide in ourselves, to trust in ourselves. Begin as you would any new relationship, by spending time, slowly and purposefully, getting acquainted with yourself.
This purposefulness to peace of mind is essential to the discovery of our spirit. Staying within our present experience means we are actively shaping our thoughts, feelings and thus behavior. With all the distractions life presents, it may seem overwhelming to find a place for yourself in the day. Begin simply by practicing mindful meditation. This type of meditation involves focusing your thoughts and actions in the present without judgement or criticism. Begin with only 10 minutes each day, upon waking in the morning or just before bed.
Tips – How to Achieve Peace of Mind
- Find a quiet and comfortable place. Sit in a chair or on the floor with your head, neck and back straight but not stiff.
- Try to put aside all thoughts of the past and the future and stay in the present. Become aware of the spirit and strength that naturally exists within you.
- Become aware of your breathing, focusing on the sensation of air moving in and out of your body as you breathe. Feel your belly rise and fall, the air enter your nostrils and leave your mouth. Pay attention to the way each breath changes and is different. With each breath in feel the strength of your inner spirit building. With each exhale, feel yourself becoming more at peace with this part of yourself…embracing it as you would an old friend.
- Watch every thought come and go, whether it be a worry, fear, anxiety or hope. When thoughts come up in your mind, don’t ignore or suppress them but simply note them, remain calm and use your breathing and inner spirit as an anchor.
- If you find yourself getting carried away in your thoughts, observe where your mind went off to, without judging, and simply return to your breathing. Remember not to be hard on yourself if this happens.
- As the time comes to a close, sit for a minute or two, becoming aware of where you are. Get up gradually, feeling the renewed strength that you will carry within you throughout the day.
When you quiet the mind in this way, your thoughts and feelings become clear. As you spend time each day discovering your inner self you will become aware of the strength and energy within. It has been there from the start. It will guide you and shape your thoughts. It will provide comfort; it will cheer you on.
Mental Fitness Center is located in downtown Rochester at 425 Main Street Suite #201, 248-601-3111, www.mentalfitnesscenter.org. Contact them for more tips for how to achieve peace of mind!