Fun summer camping recipes. These camping recipes are fun ways to prepare delicious meals in the great outdoors and excellent teaching projects for kids. These creative recipes only require a few tasty ingredients.
Michigan Wildlife Council encourages people of all ages to get outdoors and enjoy Michigan’s beautiful natural resources.
Realistically, kids can’t go anywhere without a snack. Bring along a special treat to help keep kids excited.
These camping recipes are a blast if you’re camping with the family this summer, or your kids are simply “roughing it” by sleeping out in a tent in the backyard.
Our good friends at Real Family Camping have given us some awesome camping recipes to share with OCM readers.
Summer Camping Recipes
Paper Bag Eggs Recipe (Serves 1)
Here’s your chance for you or your children to make delicious eggs without benefit of a frying pan!
Paper Bag Eggs Recipe Ingredients
- 2 strips of fatty bacon
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper, hot sauce and catsup
- 1 paper lunch bag
- 1 green, pointy stick
Paper Bag Eggs Recipe Directions
- Cut both bacon strips in half, giving you 4 pieces. Line the bottom of the paper lunch bag with the bacon to make a nice, fatty bacon nest for the egg.
- Crack an egg into the nest.
- Fold the top of the paper bag down carefully 2 times and poke a hole through the thick part with the stick. (Use a knife or scissors to make the hole first.)
- Carefully hold the bag over the fire so the bacon cooks slowly and the fat melts. This makes an oily paper and bacon “skillet” for the egg. Take care and keep cooking it until the egg is done.
- Eat it out of the bag … but put it on a plate! If you put it on your knee it will ruin your pants. I learned this the hard way.
- Serve with salt & pepper, catsup & hot sauce. But it really doesn’t need anything at all, it’s that delicious.
Muffin Tin Eggs Recipe (serves 6)
Great for groups (and for when your camping skillet is being used to make other portions of breakfast).
Muffin Tin Eggs Recipe Ingredients
- 6 strips of bacon
- 6 eggs
- muffin tin
Muffin Tin Eggs Recipe Instructions
- Cut each strip of bacon in half, making 12 pieces total.
- Put 2 pieces of bacon into the bottom of each of the 6 muffin tin cups in a cross, making a little bacon “basket.”
- Place the muffin tin on the grill over the campfire and cook the bacon until done to your liking.
- Crack an egg into each cup on top of the hot, cooked bacon and cook more until the eggs are done.
About the Michigan Wildlife Council
The Michigan Wildlife Council is entrusted with educating the public about the importance of wildlife conservation and its role in preserving Michigan’s great outdoor heritage for future generations. The council is dedicated to increasing public knowledge about how wildlife and Michigan’s outdoors are managed and funded so that we can continue to enjoy them as we do today. Find out more at hereformioutdoors.org.
For more awesome summer camping recipes, you can download the book, The Real Family Camping Cookbook at Amazon.