Buddy Baseball Clarkston Special Needs Baseball League – Buddy Baseball in Clarkston MI is a non-competitive recreational baseball league in for boys and girls with special needs. Games are held at Sashabaw Plains Park in Clarkston. Each Buddy Baseball Clarkston League player will be paired with a “buddy” to assist the player as needed.
Buddy Baseball Special Needs Baseball League is hosted by the Independence Township Parks and Recreation Department but is open to non-residents.
The Buddy Baseball Special Needs Sports League season is 6 weeks long and starts in June for the 2019 season. Games are one hour long with a 30 minute practice before each game.
This is the 11th year for the Buddy Baseball Special Needs Sports program. The idea came from a resident who relocated to Clarkston. When Laura Fry-Claussen lived in the Chicago area, her two daughters participated in a program where they volunteered as a “buddy” to a special needs child. Fry contacted Independence Township Parks and Recreation and inquired if they had a “buddy baseball program”. At the time, the Department did not have such a special needs sports league.
Buddy Baseball Clarkston 2019 season
- Ages – 7-14 year old boys and girls with special needs. Buddy ages are 10-17
- Cost – $40/residents, $50/non residents and $10 for buddies (fee includes team t-shirt)
- The league plays a 6 week season spanning June and July.
- Games will be Mondays at 6p, starting June 17 at Sashabaw Plains Park
- Coach & Buddy meeting will be on Monday, June 10 at 6p
- PLAYERS-Registration is April 2, 2019 and ends May 13, 2019. After, a $10 late registration fee will be added, pending space is still available
Buddy Baseball Clarkston is currently seeking players, buddies, volunteers and sponsors.
ITPR’s Travel Softball League for individuals with special needs ages 14+ is also seeking participants.
Questions? Contact Independence Township Parks and Rec TR Coordinator at 248-625-8223
Independence Township Parks & Recreation
6483 Waldon Center Drive, Clarkston, Michigan 48347
See related posts below for more sports leagues and activities for individuals with special needs in Oakland County and Metro Detroit, Michigan.
For more info on Buddy Baseball Clarkston, visit www.itpr.org.